When I count to three, say with me…... "ho - ho - bah". You got it! Jojoba, an oil whose beauty secrets are often overlooked or forgotten.
My Alchemy Skin Care recognizes the powerful benefits that Jojoba Seed Oil offers. You will find this ingredient was chosen for both our Lavender Hand & Body Lotion and Purifier Plus Rejuvenating Hand Sanitizer and Botanical Conditioner.
Do you have any idea where this skin-loving ingredient comes from? Jojoba Seed Oil comes from the seeds of the jojoba plant native to the Southwestern United States and Northern Mexico.
(Jojoba Grove-Seeds Ripe on the Vine Arizona, USA)
(Jojoba seeds picked and dried)
While Jojoba is identified as an oil, if you really boiled it down to its chemical components, you’d discover it’s actually a wax. From a science perspective, jojoba is mostly made up of mono-esters of long fatty acids and alcohols. This uniqueness makes this plant oil very similar to the skin’s naturally produced sebum. Jojoba Oil can easily penetrate the skin’s barrier to deliver it’s benefits where they are needed most.
Here’s 6 Beauty Benefits of using Jojoba:
- It’s powerfully moisturizing, yet gentle for all skin types, even very sensitive skin. Because it’s hypoallergenic, it’s rare to find someone who can’t tolerate it.
- It won’t clog pores so it’s especially terrific for those who are acne-prone.
- Research suggests Jojoba is a natural inflammatory, which makes it a great choice for irritated skin.
- It’s rich in Vitamin B and E, giving it antioxidant properties to help protect skin from free radicals from pollution and sun. You should still use sunscreen though.
- Jojoba is often used as a carrier oil to assist other active ingredients in penetrating deeper into skin. Think about what this could mean if you’re using an anti-aging product. Finding a Vitamin C serum with Jojoba oil could be a big win.
- Jojoba is a great product to tame hair frizz. Look for it on the ingredient label when you’re purchasing hair oils and shampoos.
To receive the greatest benefits of Jojoba Oil, look for it to appear within the first 5 ingredients. Be aware that the more Jojoba Oil in a product (higher up on the ingredient list it is) means that you should expect to pay more, it’s a very expensive oil.
Hope you’ll check-in with us each Friday this summer for our Super Star Ingredient Series.
Written by Rebecca Adams
CEO, Co-founder My Alchemy Skin CareResources: